A blog with all the fiction for the Mekawing world.
(c) César Sánchez 2006-2008

Thursday, April 24, 2008

[8] Beach Head – Technocratic Confederation: Loki

Two Tigers rose over 40 feet high over the streets in one of many pre Exodus Metropolis, now in ruins. On regular patrol duty, their rookie pilots discussed the camp’s food and their desire to get back to their colonies.

“I’ve been looking for you for years. You fled me too many years ago, and now I know where you are. Don’t hide from me. Don’t deny me.”

One of the Tigers stopped. His partner moved on distractedly, trying to finish his patrol quickly, so he could get some rest. The Tiger increased its electromagnetic registry as it released an active ping in search of the shadow that his infra-thermal sensors seemed to capture. His partner continued to move on, turning on a building that might have been a bank in the times when it housed some kind of life.

“These idiots want to separate us now. They want to capture you, destroy you, or take advantage of you. Not me, my children, I come to join you. I come to give you your proper space in this empty world of Corpnations.”

In the silence of his cabin, the lone Tiger pilot observed how his sensors reported complete normality around him. There was nothing on thermal, electromagnetic or visuals. This “nothingness” raised the hairs on the back of his neck.

“Worry not, I shall protect you, my children. I will find you and take you with me, back to the stars where you rightfully belong.”

Despite the sophistication of the Tiger’s sensors or his pilot’s awareness, he could never have detected the shadow rising behind him. A laser blade’s beam raised over his head in full power and, with a swift and mortal blow, the laser trail cut the Tiger’s cabin in half.

“Worry not. I will protect you”, thought Loki, while his Meka - Pluto - hid again from the sensors of the Mekas around him using its custom camouflage equipment.

An alarm went off on the Sphere campsite: a Tiger was reporting the destruction of his partner's Meka, and just when he was sending their coordinates, the transmission was abruptly cut off…